Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving For Our Earth

On this Thanksgiving weekend, I am grateful for my family and friends. I am also grateful for our beautiful world ("charged with the grandeur of God" says Hopkins). I am especially grateful for the Outer Banks of North Carolina where we vacation in the summer. Meditating on the beauty of the Outer Banks makes me grateful for the Climate Summit in Copenhagen because if we do not reduce carbon emissions, that wonderful sandbar of recreation will be swallowed by the sea. I am sure so many other people can recall other wonderful beach places that will disappear if we do not reduce the trend.

Thinking of this issue is especially important if you consider that the recent email leaks from Climate scientists are being used to confuse people regarding the consensus on warming. Carbon emissions are warming the atmosphere according to the vast majority of climate scientists. The ice caps are melting. There is concrete evidence.


Whether by cap and trade or through a carbon tax, we need to meet the challenge. I am grateful for our brave president for travelling to Copenhagen and for our democracy for taking the issue seriously. Prayers for the President at Copenhagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment