Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Truth, Compassion, And Christian Dialogue With Other Religions

A friend of mine asked me a question:

"In heaven, do you think Jesus and Buddha are quarreling over doctrinal issues?"

I responded first by pointing out that Buddhists do not believe in heaven. She responded by asking me if, as a Christian, I thought that the Buddha would be in heaven. I agreed that he would be.

"So answer the question."

I gave it some thought and answered: " Of course not. They have the deepest compassion for each other."

She replied, "In the same way, we must have compassion for each other, even if we have serious differences."

I asked, "Does compassion for others mean that we find truth in different religions?"

She answered, "How can we have compassion for others, really feel with and feel for others, if we reject the ways that lead them to freedom?"

No comments:

Post a Comment