Monday, February 13, 2012

Week Nine, Exercise One: Jesus Teaches Me To Love

This exercise should be experienced between February 13 and February 15.

Love is the heart of Jesus' teaching for Jesus himself is love incarnate. In the following passage from Matthew, Jesus, a pious Jew, quotes the Hebrew Scriptures. He teaches us to love God and to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.

Ask the Lord for the grace to love God, neighbor, and self and then prayerfully read Matthew 22: 34-40.

As you pray, ask yourself:

When have I loved God with heart, soul and mind? What obstacles to loving God have existed in my heart? In my soul? In my mind?

Do I love myself? How do I feel toward myself? How do I feel toward others? Do I discern well before I act on these feelings?

If we want to know what it means to love, we need to study the life of Jesus. And so our journey continues.

Close with the Our Father or other suitable prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment