Tuesday, June 15, 2010

On the Gulf Oil Spill

I have waited until now to develop a fuller response to the Gulf Oil Spill. At this point, it is critical that every global citizen develop a conscientious response. Even BP Chief Executive Tony Hayward has stated publicly that the Gulf Oil Spill never should have happened.

What are we to make of this? I am an Ohioan. I do not live near the Gulf, but, like the vast majority of conscientious Ohioans, I am very concerned about the working people of the Gulf region. I realize that just as Ohioans advocate for the economic well-being of the people of Gulf region, the people of the Gulf region advocate for the economic well-being of Ohioans. I am also very concerned about the ecology. What can I do? Many thoughtful journals, including the Jesuit weekly America, have outlined helpful proposals. They are worth considering. One of the proposals concerns conservation. The only practical problem with conservation in Summit County, Ohio is that we have to drive to many places. There is a bus system, but it does not reach every place I need to travel to. I also have a child with special needs and driving at times is literally a necessity. There are a few things I can do and I try to do these:

1. I refuse to be a slave to lawn care. I use my gas powered mower less often than the average bear. I also refuse to use petroleum based lawn products or to hire a lawn care company that will use petroleum based fertilizers and herbicides. I do not worry about trimming around the trees or edging the lawn.

2. I continue to advocate for a carbon neutral, Progressive Olympic Games for the Lake Erie region which will provide an opportunity to build a commuter train from Columbus to Canton to Akron to Cleveland, with a real focus on the Canton—Akron—Cleveland route. If we pay attention to the South African World Cup, we will notice that there were train lines developed for the event. We can do the same here. For our Progressive Olympics, which will be founded on solidarity with the poor, it is essential that we demonstrate solidarity with the people of the Gulf region, especially the people of New Orleans. If we cannot demonstrate solidarity with our fellow Americans, who is going to believe that we can demonstrate solidarity with the people of Haiti and Nicaragua? If we cannot advocate for the well-being of the people of the Gulf, then who will advocate for our Olympic effort?

3. As a loyal GM customer, I will continue to advocate for more fuel efficient cars from my favorite car company. I will also continue to advocate for better fuel efficiency from all car companies as well as stronger federal fuel efficiency regulations.

4. I will strongly consider a carbon tax, fully aware of the fact that it does put a burden on truckers and others who rely on automotive transport for a living.

Most importantly, I pray for the people of the Gulf region, some of whom are personal friends of mine. I pray that all Americans might act out of sense of solidarity toward the people of the Gulf and that we might better learn to steward God’s creation. God loves us, but God will judge us for how well we take care of the world he has given us. Witnessing this unprecedented catastrophe and the human suffering it has caused, how do we judge our own actions now?

No comments:

Post a Comment