Monday, December 14, 2009

Please Contact Your Senators About A Climate Change Treaty

John Broder in The New York Times on December 12 claims that there is too much division and doubt in the Senate to secure ratification of any kind of International Climate Change Treaty. It is amazing to me that Coca Cola and Unilever, two very profit oriented organizations can sense the danger of delay on this issue, but the US Senate is afraid to act. Who will be the focus of the next Profiles in Courage? I hope someone will step forward.

The rest of the world considers this matter as urgent as terrorism. As Thomas Friedman has written, if there is even a 1% chance that any of the proclaimed impact of climate change is true, we need to act now.

Yes, yes, not all of us live on the coasts. I live in Ohio, but I love to vacation on the Outer Banks. Every American loves our coastal areas. If we do not act with common concern for each other, how can we call ourselves Americans? I am not just an Ohioan. I am an American. We are all Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment